Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Annuals,Perennials and Bulbs and other Garden topics.
Dividing plants like iris, hosta or daylily is easy if you follow a few simple steps. To divide these plants:
1. Make certain you have a new bed ready for your divisions ahead of time.
2. Take a very sharp shovel and drive it down the center of the clump.
3. Dig up one half of the clump, leaving as much soil intact as possible.
4. Plant the division in the new bed.
5. Smooth the soil around the remaining half.
6. Give both halves of the plant a dose of compost tea.
7. Mulch heavily for winter protection.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|