Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Equipment and Supplies and other Garden topics.
To avoid accidents with lawn tractors and power mowers, you should:
* Know the controls and how to stop the machine quickly.
* Stop the power before leaving the seat.
* Keep children out of your work area.
* Look behind you before backing up.
* Reduce speed when turning sharply, as well as on slopes.
* Stay off steep slopes.
* When mowing with a riding mower, go up and down slopes to avoid tipping over, but with a walking mower, go across the slope to avoid getting your foot caught in the blade.
* Keep all guards and shields in place.
* Clear the area of objects that could be thrown by the blade.
* Keep your hands and feet well away from rotating blades.
* Make sure the riding mower is out of gear before starting it up.
* Never give children rides. Mowers are not toys.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|