Help Your Plants During The Transition To Winter
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Gardening & Planting Trees and other Garden topics.
How do I transition garden plants indoors for the winter?
To help your garden plants make an easy transition indoors for the winter you should start preparing them several weeks before the first frost.
- Dig up your plants so that a ball of soil remains around the roots.
- Set the plants in a pot or container. It is important to try to match the same depth level in the pot as was used in the garden soil.
- Add soil to eliminate any air pockets which may be in the pot.
- Cut back the plant's top about 50% to discourage wilting.
- Water and apply a very mild liquid fertilizer.
- Keep the plant in a cool location out of direct sunlight for a few days, then move the plant indoors.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.